понедељак, 7. октобар 2013.

Zaha Builds for "The People"


For the sake of argument, let's say that Bashar al-Assad is on the phone. He wants her to build him a prison in Damascus. "Well, I wouldn't mind building in Syria," she shrugs. "I'm an Arab and if it helps people, if it's an opera house or a parliament building, something for the masses, I would do it. But if someone asks me to build a prison, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't build a prison, irrespective of where it is, even if it was very luxurious." She won't build a prison? How many buildings have been designed, and constructed where the intent is one thing, and the ultimate use has been for something quite nefarious? I don't care who she builds for, ultimately she has to live with those decisions, but she can't be this naive, and expect not to be taken to task, for her blindness. I am sure there are many Syrians that would see her buildings in Syria, as extensions of the oppression by the Assad regime, and might even find that those small, windowless rooms, quite appropriate for torture.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар